Cyber security is also known as information technology security or electronic information security. It refers to a body of technologies, processes, and practices that are created to protect devices, electronic systems, computers, servers, networks, data, and programs from damage, unauthorized access, or attack. The term cyber security includes a variety of contexts and can be divided into categories such as:
Network Security- It secures a computer network from intruders, opportunistic malware, or targeted attackers.
Information Security- It protects the privacy and integrity of data in transit and in storage both.
Application Security- This security feature is designed to keep software and devices free from threats.
Operational Security- It is the process of handling and protecting data assets. It is all about accessing a network and the procedures of data storage and sharing.
Disaster Recovery and Business continuity- It defines how an organization responds to a cyber-security that causes the loss of data or operations. These security policies are about to restore the organization’s operations and information to return to the same capacity as before the damage, loss, or disaster. Business continuity is the plan for the organization to fall back on operation without certain resources.
End-user Education- It tells us about the most unpredictable security factor: people. It alerts the users to delete suspicious attachments, not plugin unnecessary USB drivers, and much other important information regarding the security of any organization.
Read on to know how to start a career in this field and how to become a Cyber Security Expert.
Cyber Security as a Career
The cyber security professionals or information security analysts have a vast range of duties and responsibilities. Their job is to protect online data from being attacked, harmed, or compromised. Several banks, retailers, and government organizations are hiring cyber security professionals to protect their data. It is a complex career and many job roles can be found in this challenging sector. The frequency of cyber-attacks creates a high demand for qualified professionals, as they are responsible for identifying the problem and finding a solution quickly.
There are several job roles available to start a career as a cyber security professional, some are listed below:
- Security Specialist- Security specialist protects an organization’s software and network security system. It is a smart career option to begin a career in cybersecurity. It includes 3 level job roles: Entry-Level (System Administrator, Security Administrator, Network Administrator), Senior-Level (IT Project Manager, Security Manager, Security Consultant, Security Architect) And Executive-Level (Chief Information, Security Officer, Security Director)
- Incident Responder-These job holders are responsible for preventing and protecting against threats of cyberattacks.
- Security Administrator- These administrators keep an organization’s security system running smoothly every day.
- Vulnerability Assessor- They identify and spot vulnerabilities and create solutions for cyber-attack issues and problems.
- Cryptographer- Their main work is to write the codes that hackers and attackers can not attack online or offline.
- Security Manager- This job is related to teamwork. The security manager keeps systems secure with the help of an expert team.
- Security Architect- They design tough-to-crack security systems for online attackers and criminals.
- Chief Information Security Officer- These officers have expertise in computer security and business acumen. They see the security policies and procedures for the company.
- Security Analyst- They make plans and execute them with flawless security measures.
- Security auditor- Criminals always find the weak points of an organization’s system, so the auditor’s duty is to find weak points and spots in a security system before criminals and attackers do.
- Security Director- The main job of a security director is to make the rules for the company and solve the complex problems related to security systems.
- Forensic Expert- They protect the cyber world and assist law enforcement of the company.
- Penetration Tester- They hack and protect computer systems for the betterment of the organization or company.
- Security Consultant- These consultants give advice and implement security solutions.
- Security Engineer- They build IT security systems for the organization to protect data from hackers.
- Source Code Auditor- They create security codes and ensure code safety and accuracy before its release.
How To Start A Career In Cyber Security?
As there are hundreds of job titles available in the cyber security sector, so are the certifications. A well-recognized certification catches the eyes of the employers or hiring managers. It also can lead to a promotion or better job prospects. Some of the popular certifications are:
- CISSP- Certified Information System Security Professional is a high-level certification. It is focused on management and security policy and is the most popular certification in this field.
- CISA- Certified Information System Auditor is specially designed for professionals who monitor, audit, control, and access business systems and information technology.
- CISM- Certified Information Security Manager is responsible for fellows in managerial posts such as the CIO of IT security.
- CEH- Certified Ethical Hacker, this certification is discussed among white hat hackers and penetration testers.
- GCIH- GIAC Certified Incident handler is responsible for identifying, detecting, and responding and resolving computer security incidents.
- OSCP- Offensive Security Certified Professional includes a rigorous 24-hour certification exam. It is specially designed for penetration testers.
If someone wants to start a career in cyber security, here are some useful tips to jump-start the dream job:
- Decide your Dream job- At very first you have to decide on where you want to be. Plan to achieve your necessary skills on a basic, fundamental level. Find your ability with your technical or regulatory side, and focus on the right direction.
- Get The Fundamental rights- Next step to move ahead is to have a basic understanding of security fundamentals and networking. It is very important and necessary to land the first job in cyber security.
- Online Training- Go for online courses and training from a credible source and get a deep knowledge of the subject. It will definitely help to master your skills.
- Have Certification- Having a certification means you have upgraded your knowledge and commitment towards learning.
- Better surroundings- Imagine and expect less of your first job and always surround yourself with knowledge. Always talk, listen, watch, and talk something new with the right people to gain more and more knowledge and skills.
Apply these concepts to the cyber security space, they will start referring you as an expert instead of a learner. So, are you ready to start a career in cyber security?