Online shopping has taken over, with more of us spending a lot of time over the Internet than ever before, eCommerce has to be at the front of its game. Whether you are selling make- up, clothes, groceries or gadget insurance, this is the way forward. Implementing SEO and defining the correct and most relevant keywords to use for your online store must be done correctly. It can be a tricky task, so we have put together a useful guide to help you define the correct keywords and implement a competent SEO strategy to increase your online sales. However, if you have difficulties or don’t have the time and you can always hire a search marketing agency. Let`s look at the best ways to define keywords.
How to Define Keywords
One of the main problems that SEO strategists find is working with the wrong keywords. So what are the main things to think about when defining keywords?
- Think about the terms that you would use to search for your product or service. Using your common sense can be more helpful than any tool.
- Think about the search queries that your website should be visible for on search engines.
- What terms would drive consumers to your site?
- If you have a new website, it is difficult to rank for a single keyword. In that case, it is worthwhile targeting long tail keywords that include 3 or 4 words. Although they have a smaller CTR, they are cheaper and allow you to target smaller audience but with higher chance to be discovered.
- Long tail keywords may get less traffic but they are associated with more qualified traffic users and allow you to offer the option of including a location. E.g. phone insurance UK
- One of the best free tools is Google AdWords Keyword Tool. After deciding potential keywords that you will focus on, you can see how many people are searching for them, and get more similar suggestions.
What to Avoid
We can easily begin working with the wrong keywords when starting off and this can have a huge impact on our overall SEO strategy. Here are some common mistakes to avoid:
- Don’t choose generic keywords that you will be unable to position for growth.
- Don`t pick words which won`t be specific for you, as you may end up targeting the wrong audience.
- Don`t only focus on keywords with high competition, as it can take you long time and effort until you ever get any results (if any).
- Don’t overload the website with 50 or 60 keywords that you want to position. It is next to impossible to rank for so many keywords and the Google algorithm may mark your site as a ‘keyword stuffer’. For this make sure to keep your keyword density not more than 5-6%. For example, if you notice that you are losing rankings for specific keywords, check your keyword density. You can check that regularly with Google Rankings Free Tool.
Think logically about your aims, and the exact keywords that you want to rank. Analyse carefully what your competitors do and what approaches are effective. The Google Analytics, Keywords tool is one of the most helpful resources for identifying keywords and what popular searches. It is essential to keep your users interested with valuable content on your site, fill this content with your keywords and you are bound to see results. This is only one side of digital marketing, but it sets the base for further development and success in the area of SEO. Best of luck, and happy selling!